The Misericórdia Chapel, dating back to 1612, was built in 1610 by the Misericórdia de Arouca shortly after it was founded. Its small size contrasts with the decorative richness in its interior. Composed of a single nave, its walls are completely covered with panels of blue and yellow tile patterns from the first half of the 18th century. The ceiling consists of 45 wooden panels fully decorated with paintings representing Marian themes, the Evangelists, the Apostles and Doctors of the Church, and themes of Christ’s life.
Monuments classification: Monument of Public Interest
Access to the point of interest: by car; easy
Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays (except in New Year’s Eve, Easter and Christmas):
from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm and from 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm
Outside these schedules the visits have to be booked through following contacts:
(+351) 256 940 500 / 913 482 945